Thursday, March 29, 2012

Confessions of a Bad Homeschool Mom

Confession time:
Over the last six months, I have attempted to homeschool, work part time, take care of my home, and partner with my husband in youth ministry. I burned out and was not doing well in any of these areas. Last week was my last day of work. My husband and I decided that homeschooling and ministry were priorities and I needed to devote my time to these, despite the financial loss we would have. We both knew God would provide, that was without a doubt. I just needed to get my priorities right.

What the school attitude in our house has been:
Sit down. Push, push, push to stay focused and get the work done. Quickly! No time for the fun little extras...just get done what we had to.
I told you it was confession time. Not pretty, is it? As if I had forgotten why I chose to homeschool in the first place!
It broke my heart when my daughter, who started school early and has always LOVED doing school, begged to do school when it wasn't school time, said to me, "I don't like school." Crush!

As I said, last week was my last day of work.  There isn't much more school left for us for this year, so here is my goal: over the summer, I want to do some awesome learning activities that are totally FUN based. And I want to plan and build for next school year. I want to research and plan and organize and create and get my kids completely excited about a new year. My daughter is going to start 2nd grade and I want it to be the best school year ever.
So I am going to share all of my findings and experiences right here with you! I would love for you to follow along, learn from my mistakes (hopefully there won't be too many!) and my successes!

I didn't always start out as a bad homeschool mom. I just let myself get sidetracked. So here is my story of how I get back on track and get my daughter to love school again!

No comments:

Post a Comment